1.4
Interest Rate

My husband and I received a preapproval letter in writing from our local NACA office. We believed we were ready to buy a house but they refused to submit a bank application when we went on paid maternity leave.

We explained our pay was unchanged and were able to show pay stubs substantiating level income however they refused to change their stance. After both of us returned to work on regular pay, we again thought we were ready to buy a home- they again denied us and said they require 30 days of regular pay check stubs.

We shared multiple lawsuits and rulings as well as excerpts directly from the Federal Fair Housing website that clearly shows denial based on maternity leave alone is a violation of federal law- they said they were exempt from this law. In the meantime, we have missed out on multiple home buying opportunities.

Comments

This is an exact excerpt of the email from NACA:Once you have returned to work we need the 30 days of paystubs and a letter from your employer stating you have returned to work at the same payrate and hours as before you went on leaveThe fair housing laws are not being violated because they are meant to protect you once you have completed bank application. In the laws you will see it states “lender”, we are the broker in this transaction and per our guidelines you cannot enter into a contract during leave or until you meet the above criteria after leave.

NACA_Online
Naca Verified Representative

We would like to investigate your claims. Please email me at the address below with the details of the situation.Tim TrumbleOnline Operations, NACAttrumble@naca.com

Please file a formal complaint with the CFPB, BBB and HUD. If NACA continues to be held unaccountable they will continue their bad lending practices.

to Helper #1498092

I did through CFPB but was unable to find a working phone number for HUD for a complaint- is there one you could share?

to Anonymous #1498203

Fair housing complaints can be filed with HUD by telephone (1-800-669-9777). I called and confirmed this number works.