Naca is a set up to encourage black people to live in bad neighborhoods. Please people stay far away from NACA.

{{Redacted}} They only approve loans for bad neighborhood.

What kind of company is that? Sad

Comments

Tblade29

NACA had me arrested because I am exposing their blatant regard to State and Federal Laws. Search NACA on facebook and you will see my videos. Feel free to reach out to me if you need the proper authorities to report them to.

I completely agree with this as well. After the tedious tasks of uploading our lives and having to volunteer and long drawn out meetings.

Not to mention purchasing two previous homes through NACA, we were hit in the head to learn that they don’t serve our areas of interest.

I don’t want to live in a bad neighborhood and I want better schools for my children. They have created a climate of Reverse Racial Steering.

NACA_Online
NACA Verified Representative

The guidelines being referred to here are actually quite simple and are in direct alignment with NACA's mission nationwide to defend and promote economic justice, revitalize communities, and fight financial exploitation and discriminatory lending practices. NACA focuses on primarily low and moderate income people and communities who without NACA are subjected to predatory terms or prevented from purchasing homes through no fault of their own.

As such, NACA does indeed have a "targeted" membership, comprised of buyers whose income is less than 100% of the median income for their Metropolitan Statistical area (MSA) as defined by the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC), a multi-department government agency that sets standards for the financial industry. Likewise, targeted areas are Census Tracts where the median income is less than 100% of the median income for the MSA. Targeted members may buy in any area, targeted or otherwise, as long as the home fits within their affordability and does not exceed the Conforming Loan Limit for their area (i.e., no "jumbo" loans). Non-targeted members are restricted to purchasing in targeted areas.

However, this again includes Census Tracts with median incomes up to 99.9% of that of the MSA, which includes middle income areas. This change in fact moved many previously non-targeted members and Census Tracts into the targeted category, opening up additional opportunities for literally thousands of our members. NACA has always, and always will, welcome members of all income levels. However, the change in fact became necessary as a large percentage of people in upper-income categories came to NACA for no other reason than to seek a cheap loan.

Once the regional maximum acquisition cost limits were removed, NACA was in danger of not meeting its HUD mandated obligation of 80% of loans involving either targeted members or Census Tracts, thwarting NACA's basic mission. Numerous recent articles point out that even though redlining was outlawed a half-century ago, many low and moderate income neighborhoods still fall into those same exact areas where bankers once deliberately refused to make loans because they were primarily communities of color. NACA's mission is to break that cycle and create stable neighborhoods, personal financial security and generational wealth through affordable home ownership. One of the biggest mistakes that upper income people in the NACA program make is to assume that targeted areas are somehow automatically "bad" neighborhoods.

In many cases nothing could be farther from the truth. Many are historic neighborhoods undergoing revitalization, and the NACA program actually aids in that rebirth while at the same time fighting gentrification and takeover by greedy property investors. Additionally, research shows that when communities of all income levels are stabilized through home ownership, not only do crime rates go down, but many other benefits result, ranging from improved public health conditions to schoolchildren getting better grades. The "complaint" above is either predicated on either a failure to learn the facts or outright prejudice, and neither is acceptable.

It only serves to further the injustices of the past and tries to prevent working people of all races the opportunity to build a secure future. Tim Trumble Online Operations, NACA Tim Trumble Online Operations, NACA

I will say that I really don't have all the details on this "new" process, however, while I get this is a forum to complain & glorify, I would go to the NACA blog which can be extremely helpful. Members helping members and a NACA rep high up on the food chain does respond when deemed appropriate to.I cant think this process is set up to keep a certain race in one neighborhood over another. I am far from gullible, very far, and I just don't see NACA doing this.Please go to the NACA blog and post the comment there to see what is going on and ask them to explain it like we are all 8 year olds because some explanations there have left me wondering if my brain was sucked out.

You are free to get the house you can afford anywhere!

to Anonymous #1521756

Even better you are free to not use NACA and get financing yourself by improving your credit and saving your money.

zurc137
#1520886

I am Puerto Rican, grew up in the South Bronx, relocated to a new state and NEVER once did NACA steer/encourage me to a neighborhood with all Hispanics or any other race. They told me what I qualified for and I picked a neighborhood I liked that was even less than what I qualified for and it is deemed one of the best zip codes in my town.

My friend in NY who is Puerto Rican purchased a house and he wasn't steered to a neighborhood based on race. To make sure that's is happening to you, compare the amount you qualified for (if you did complete the program and received your qualification letter), and see what's available on Zillow in your price range.Then see if that encouragement is really happening.

to zurc137 #1521170

Zurc137,Although I disagree with the OP's opinion, I believe he/she is referring to the new guidelines NACA just implemented on 07/01. Non-priority members are no longer able to buy homes in middle class or high class neighborhoods going forward which forces NACA non-priority members to buy houses in areas that are predominantly African America/Hispanic.

I hate to admit that that the low or moderate properties are "black people neighborhoods", but the numbers don't lie.

When you look up the addresses that are NACA approved the Census Demographic Data shows that the population of that area is high with the "Black Population" or "Hispanic Population". If you don't believe me, research the properties yourself.

to Neutral #1521701

There is no such a thing as “no priority member”. The house will depend on how much they qualify for.

to Anonymous #1521973

I disagree. Naca has guidelines for priority members and another set of rules for non priority members. The NACA handbook on their website explains in detail on how to determine which type of member you are to them.

to Neutral #1521970

I said the same thing about not being able to buy in middle class neighborhoods but some members on the naca forum clarified it for me. You actually can buy in those neighborhoods just not “upper” class neighborhoods.

FYI- this is only for non-priority members.

I believe priority members can buy anywhere and is not restricted to any area. Highly recommending folks google “naca forums” and check out the post to get a good understanding of the new NACA policy.

to Neutral #1697663

You, likely others speak as if "black people" are monolithic, and all live in the same, low-income neighborhoods. I loathe ignorance, hence my disdain for all things educated by whites...